The 40 hour BPAT certification course is conducted over five days and includes the training, equipment, and information necessary to become licensed by the TCEQ (Texas Commission on Environmental Quality) and qualified to test and maintain backflow prevention assemblies. This course is approved by the TCEQ and the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners (TSBPE). Everything is provided in class, a student’s own gauge is not needed for course attendance. At the end of the course the BPAT P-1 written practice exam book is provided.
Please note: we do not combine existing renewal students and new 40 hr. tester students. For example, an existing tester needing to renewal his or her license cannot come through a 40 hour course for renewal purposes. The purpose of this is to protect the training quality of our courses.
Examination Process (two parts): the practical skills portion of the exam is included and provided the last day of class which is Friday. The second part of the exam process is the written exam, taken after course completion. The written exam is computer based and offered at TCEQ authorized exam sites (local colleges) across the state. This TCEQ application process (which includes a criminal background check and application fee of $111) is completed and submitted by the student after completing all five days of the 40 hour tester course. After the application is reviewed and approved by the TCEQ (takes up to 4 weeks), the student will receive an approval letter back granting permission to go take the written exam. Attached to this approval letter will be a list of local colleges with TCEQ authorized computer-based testing sites and their contact information. Usually local college appointment times require just a few days advance notice.
*Click here to begin TCEQ New Backflow Tester OLEA Application (Note: this BPAT license application is intended to be submitted anytime after course registration. It can be submitted before or after student completes the 40 Hr. BPAT course).
Note: TCEQ license prerequisites (required to obtain BPAT license after course completion) include at least two years of approved work experience, high school diploma or GED, and completion of criminal background check. This information is verified through the application process described above before student can be approved to obtain a Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT) license.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Education: High School diploma or General Equivalence Diploma
- Work Experience: two years of experience (TCEQ substitutes one year for a college degree). Work experience must be in an approved area which includes, but not limited to:
- Operating or maintaining a public drinking water system;
- Installing or repairing residential, commercial, or industrial drinking water treatment equipment;
- Installing or repairing lawn irrigation systems;
- Performing activities requiring a master or journeyman plumbing license of at least 2 yrs.;
- Installing or servicing fire suppression sprinkler systems and lines;
- Operating or maintaining a domestic wastewater treatment facility;
- Performing duties approved by the executive director
- For questions about the license requirements, TCEQ can be contacted at 512-239-6133.
TCEQ training credits provided with this course:
- 12 Hrs. Irrigation/Technician License
- 12 Hrs. Customer Service Inspector
- 12 Hrs. Water/Wastewater Operators
- 12 Hrs. Water Treatment Specialist
- 100 Hrs. toward obtaining a Plumbing Inspector’s License
- Course fee: $795.00
Bundle package $1,549.00 (includes discounted, total price for the BAC-FLO-5 Backflow Test Kit as shown in store).
Bac-Flo Unlimited, 39735 IH 10 W, Boerne, TX 78006
- Course registrations are 100% refundable or transferable to another class if you cancel 5 days in advance. For example, if your class begins on a Monday, you must cancel BEFORE the preceding Wednesday to receive a full refund.
- Any cancellations fewer than 5 days or no-shows will be refunded 50% of the full price of the course.
- One course transfer is allowed 5 days in advance of your registered course.
- If your cancellation is the result of a hardship, please contact us to discuss your options.